AGRICULTURE

AGRICULTURE (CROP HUSBANDRY)

Paddy continues to remain the principal food crop and the staple food of the people of Mizoram. Whereas the minimum Rice requirements of the state per year is estimated to be about 1,80,000 MT, the present Rice production is only 62,089 MT per year which could meet only 34.49% of its rice requirement. The remaining 65.51% has to be imported from outside the State. Increasing Rice production and diversification of agriculture farming would therefore enhance rural livelihood and reduce poverty in villages and is imperative for food security of the State.

District-wise availability of WRC (Wet Rice Cultivation) Potential & Utilization Status (2015-16)

(Area in Ha.)

Name of District
WRC Potential Area (in Ha.) Area under Cultivation % utilization of WRC Potential Area need to be developed
Aizawl 4,140 875 21.14 3,265
Lunglei 12,797 1,202 39.00 11,595
Saiha 4,284 504 76.00 3,780
Champhai 8,697 4,554 52.36 4,143
Kolasib 9,429 4,335 98.00 5,094
Serchhip 3,710 2,308 62.21 1,402
Lawngtlai 11,405 2,556 22.41 8,849
Mamit 20,182 968 4.80 19,214
Grand total 74,644 17,302 23.18 57,342

HORTICULTURE

Horticulture plays a very important role in the economy of Mizoram and has remarkable contribution to the state Gross Domestic Products. More than 70% of the State population depends on land based activities for their livelihood. Horticulture is one among the sustainable land based activities/industries for development of the State economy due to its favorable agro climatic condition, hilly terrain nature of the landscape and well distributed abundant rainfall during monsoon season.

Growth comparison of major Horticulture crops for the year 2004-05 and 2014-15

(Area in thousandth hectare, Production in thousandth MT
Productivity in thousandth MT/Ha, no. in lakh)

Crops Area/
Production/
Productivity
Year Decadal
growth
Growth Rate%
2004-05
2014-15
Fruits Area 10.99 60.297 49.30 69
Production 53.25 350.91 297.66 73
Productivity 0.0047 0.0058 0.0011 10
Vegetables Area 6.19 42.48 36.29 74
Production 34.38 260.99 226.61 76
Productivity 0.0055 0.0061 0.0006 9
Spices Area 6.22 23.37 17.15 57
Production 41.08 65.72 24.64 23
Productivity 6.60 2.77 (-)3.83 (-)45
Flowers Area 0.053 0.198 0.145 57
Production 3.97 no. 475.43 no. 471.46 no. 98
Productivity 75 no. 2503 no. 2428 no. 94

Area and production of Horticulture crops (2015-16)

Crops Area and Production (2015-16)
Area (Area = 000’ Ha.)
Production(Production = 000’ Mt)
Fruits 60.67 350.91
Vegetables 43.57 261.52
Aromatics 1.08 0.94
Plantation crops 11.93 11.50
Spices 22.55 64.91
Roots and Tubers 1.55 12.74
Flowers 198 475.42 lakh (number)
Grand Total 339.35
 

LIVESTOCK

The Department of Animal Husbandry & Veterinary plays an important role for increasing production of animal origin food like milk, eggs & meat as well as Socio Economic Development of the State and contributes substantially to the States Gross Domestic product.

Species Livestock Census 2007 Livestock Census 2012 Growth Rate (%) Remarks
Livestock 364000 384604 5.66 Pigs constitute the largest group followed by cattle : 69.33% respectively 9.95 %

Poultry
1241814 1260298 1.49 Fowls account for 99.43% of the total population

 

MILK PRODUCTION

Estimated milk production in Mizoram

Year Crossbred (tonnes) Indigenous (tonnes) Total (tonnes)
2012-13 12000.53 1638.65 13639
2013-14 13629.752 1375.465 15305.217
2014-15 18722 1773 20495

 

EGG PRODUCTION

Estimated egg production in Mizoram

Year Desi (lakh no.) Improved (lakh no.) Total (lakh no.)
2012-13 12000.53 1638.65 13639
2013-14 13629.752 1375.465 15305.217
2014-15 18722 1773 20495

 

FISHERIES


No. of Fish Farmers, Total area and production:


Year
No. of fish farmers Area under fish culture (Ha.) Fish Production in M.T
Culture Sector Capture Sector Total
2014-15 13030
4790
5987 400 6387
2015-16 13546 4850 6428 400 6828

 

Source: Economic Survey 2016-17.